Candles are safe products, but unless they are used safely and watched carefully, they can lead to an accidental fire. More than 15,000 candle fires are reported annually. According to fire experts, the bulk of candle-fire incidents are due to consumer inattention to basic fire safety or to the misuse of candles.

With a few simple precautions your candle burning experience is not only enjoyable but safe for home, family and beloved pets.

 Never burn your candle in drafts; it will make it burn uneven, lowers the burn time, and it will make the candle smoke. It will also make the flame height increase which could result in a fire.

Always use a candleholder specifically designed for candle use. The holder should be heat resistant, sturdy and large enough to contain any drips or melted wax.

When breaking your jar candle in allow it to burn long enough with the first lighting that a pool of wax almost reaches its edge. In future burnings, all candles will only burn as far from the wick as they did the first time. Once broken in allow candle to burn no longer then 2 hours then blow it out, trim the wick and allow the wax to cool and harden before relighting the candle. This also allows the glass to cool to prevent it breaking from built up heat.

To prevent smoking while burning, keep your wick trim to 1/4 of an inch. The single one thing that will enhance your candle burning experience, maintain safe burning, and provide a clean burn is keeping your wicks trimmed. Be sure to keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.

Never leave a burning candle unattended even for a short time if you can not see it then blow the candle out. Please do not burn candles while sleeping.  Never use a candle as a night light. Unattended candles are the single largest cause for candle related fires.

Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It's the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering. Make sure a candle is completely extinguished and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.

Children and Pets are curious by nature please keep candles out of the reach of both children and pets and never leave them alone with a burning candle.

 Never pick up or move a burning a jar candle while the glass is hot. Snuff the candle flame out and wait until the wax has hardened and the jar has cooled before moving.

Always burn your candle on a heat resistant and level surface at least 12 inches away from curtains and other flammable materials; never use flammable substances (such as aersol sprays as one example) around a candle: discontinue use and discard a jar candle when the bottom layer has 1/2 inch of wax left (bottom 2 inches if you are burning a pillar candle). You can place the unlit jar candle on a candle warmer to enjoy the fragrance left in the last 1/2 inch.

 Remember to turn your candle melter/warmer off when you leave home or go to bed for the night.